Monday, September 05, 2005

The Honolulu Zoo

Well, the first crazy and hectic week of preparing for and starting a new job is over, and thank goodness for a long weekend (to say the least). Jaden hates daycare though I think in time he’ll grow accustomed to it. I just hope our daycare provider , Rosie, can brave it out!! I’ll write a bit more about my new job in a later post, but sufficed to say the job is alright, I think I’ll enjoy it once I know Jaden is okay.

In honour of starting a new job, we thought we better do something special this weekend. So, off we went to the Honolulu zoo. It’s located right in the thick of Waikiki, across the street from the beach. We almost didn’t stay because the parking lot was so incredibly full. As we were leaving, Jaden chanting ‘nanama’ (animal?) we found a spot and pulled in. Parking was 25 cents per 10 minutes, a 2 hour maximum. Admission to the zoo was 6 dollars each (Jaden free). This doesn’t sound too bad except the zoo is really quite small and largely under construction. I wouldn’t say this was a waste of money because Jaden loved it, however maybe the Waikiki aquarium would have been a better choice?

Despite the size, this zoo is beautiful. The enclosures seem small, but are so aesthetically pleasing so it was quite a nice stroll. Unlike the Winnipeg zoo, most of the enclosures were open air and barriers strategically placed so you’d hardly notice they were there.

No comments: