Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Weekend Festivities

Well, I guess Tuesday is not too bad for finally updating you on our weekend. Sufficed to say we've been a bit busy these last few days, but are settling into our routine nicely I think.

Friday was our day to "take it easy" and go shopping. We first went to the Ala Moana Shopping Centre - a beautiful open-air mall with everything you could want/need/desire. Lots of high end stores there, quite a big change from St. Vital Centre I tell ya. Then we took care of some errands at Wal-Mart and Costco, stopped for lunch and hit a Farmer's Market down by Fisherman's Wharf. The market was pretty cool, lots of neat looking fish I might try tasting sometime. Needless to say we were fairly exhausted by the time we got home.

Saturday was a cloudy, rainy day (did I bring that with me?) but we decided nothing was going to stop us from hitting the beach. Tyson drove us up to the North-Eastern side of Oahu. We drove right through the heart of the island (I think?), through some plantation-type areas. I hunted high and low, but still have not seen a pineapple tree....highly elusive I guess.

Our first stop was Waimea Bay Beach Park, which was surprisingly deserted and quiet. It's apparently a world famous surfing place in the winter, but the water was calm almost like a lake. We decided to go swimming - and the water was SO calm and warm we scarcely thought of the "S" word, but sure didn't venture too deep! Jaden really loved the water, but again hated the sand. He sat on my towel with his feet and hands up in the air not knowing how to avoid it - quite funny. From there we continued on through several villages and saw a lot of places we'll have to back and explore more thoroughly including a place called Shark's Cove. Though apparently not sharky (according to our guide book), it is supposed to be a great place for snorkelling and learning how to SCUBA. Our last stop was the Pali Overlook on the Pali Highway, with a gorgeous view of Oahu and on a clear day whichever island neighbours it (not sure what that one is, but then again I've only been here a few days!). It was a bit too hazy, but I'm sure we'll go back!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Ernest!! Thanks so much for contacting me, it's great to hear from you. Hope all is well with Starbucks, and that you're enjoying your summer!
Feel free to drop me an email at chicmccann@hotmail.com anytime!
Cheers - Melissa