Friday, August 05, 2005

Ala Moana Beach Park

Nestled away in downtown Honolulu, on the edge of Waikiki lies the Ala Moana Beach Park. With claims of near-desertion during weekdays, this was our destination for the week. Jaden and I set out by bus at 10am and headed toward the beach.

The trip to the bus stop in and of itself was a journey, one we almost did not make in time. Jaden spent a lot of time unpacking the bag I was packing . . . But we managed. The bus ride was nice, through Chinatown and much of downtown Honolulu - we chatted with some friendly people on the bus, who especially loved that Jaden blew them kisses.

Our first stop was the Ala Moana Mall, which I've written about earlier. I decided to call Tyson who agreed to meet us for lunch at Bubba Gump Shrimp Company. A little pricey, but delicious, though none of us tried the shrimp! After lunch, we parted sadly Tyson had to go back to work. Jaden and I took the short trip off to the beach. It's very pretty, a white sandy beach in a kind of a bay. The water seems pretty calm and clear. Right next to it is some sort of marina, which was fun to look at. By this time we were hot and sweaty, and wanted nothing more to swim however decided that we had just a couple too many valuables to leave unattended. Instead we walked around the park, found a little tidepool to play in and look at some fish.

The day was really nice, the bus ride home not so. The bus was crowded and the A/C couldn't keep up. Generally the buses here are nice, a lot nicer than in Winnipeg anyway - but this one had roaches that were creeping around. Ick.

No comments: