Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The Waikiki Walk

On Sunday (the 14th of August), Tyson, Jaden and I decided to walk around Waikiki and play the part of the tourist. (Not so hard to do in a place like this I tell ya). We parked at Ala Moana Shopping Centre and trodded off in the general direction of Waikiki, map in hand, backpack on back and Jaden securely strapped in his stroller. We really looked like tourists except for the cameras. At any rate, we walked into Waikiki and stopped at this huge mall, I think it was called "DFS shopping centre" or some such, but I don't remember exactly. They had a huge saltwater aquarium with rays, sharks etc and of course Jaden could not pass that up. He is completely infatuated with fish and did not like the idea of moving on.

Overall Waikiki is beautiful, full of shopping areas (mostly souvenirs, jewelry etc) but it was fun to check out. The beach was a verifiable sea of flesh (mostly very white, untanned flesh - I can say this now that I am tan-ish). I couldn't imagine swimming there with such a wall of people but it was neat to see. Our Waikiki walk was two hours long, at least and very tiring. It's beautiful and there are a lot of pretty parks that I'd like to picnic at, but in all there are a lot quieter places to go in O'ahu.

No comments: